Monday, May 23, 2005

Banks are Falling Over Themselves to Get You as a Customer

I just read this article at Smartmoney.com. Pretty interesting the extent to which these large banks are competing for customers. I think this is a great example of consumer power. When you have a large variety of competition, the consumer wins.

Personally, I don't care about weekend hours, free MP3 players, or "points." When I look for a bank, it's all about "Show me the money." Who has the highest savings and checking rates? That's right. I earn interest on all of my accounts. If my bank started doing this marketing stuff instead of paying interest rates, I'd leave in an instant.

That's the great thing about this, though. The banks are finding a customer they want to target, offering him/her something, and reeling them in. Ultimately, though, it's up to the customer to choose.

No comments: