Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Investing for Education

Two guys from SmithBarney in Houston, TX (actually they're Vice Presidents) wrote this article about investing for their children's education. They are adamantly against the 529 plans and any of the state educational savings accounts. Why? They claim that recent laws in Congress open the door for states to tax other states' plans. Not good.

They also correctly point out that in 2010, the 401(k), Roth IRA, and 529 plans tax laws will expire. They may or may not be renewed by Congress. I can't imagine any Congress would remove the tax sheltered properties of the 401(k) or other savings devices, but it is a risk, I suppose.

Their strategy is composed of putting half of an investment into a municipal bond and the other half into a few, dividend-paying, high return stocks (if only they had pointed out a few examples!). Their ideas intrigue me, but I'm a bit skeptical. I'd like to hear your thoughts.

1 comment:

research said...

I think that is good for education