Saturday, April 16, 2005

American Car Companies Face Tough Times

Both the New York Times and The Economist have had some interesting articles about the current state of American car companies. The Times article paints a bleak picture and even mentions that both Ford and GM may not be around in the near future. The article from the Economist discusses the strategies of Daimler-Chysler and GM for trying to resucitate their global brands.

Last year, I bought a Subaru Outback. I suppose I should have thought about supporting the United States more, but I was drawn to Subaru for two reasons: high quality (meaning safety and a low rate of break downs) and high re-sale value.

When I was doing research on cars at sites like Kelly Blue Book and Edmunds, it seemed to me that not many US cars had these key factors included. What I would like to know is what kind of car(s) do you drive? Why did you choose that type of car? If you were going to buy a car today or in the near future, which type would you purchase and why?

Let us know.

No comments: